- RT @ricomonkeon: All designers should add an easter egg to their sites so you can press a key on any site & see how nice it looked befor … #
- RT @DI__RCA: Congrats to Fiona Raby on her appointment as professor of design at Vienna Uni of Applied Arts. She will of course continue … #
- RT @ClairNotClaire: fi-douche-al #
- RT @odannyboy: PaperCut: You had me until Chief WONKA appeared on screen. This is like The Onion meets BERG http://t.co/ruEc28A #
- RT @griffinkate: RT if you've ever rung your mobile phone to find out where it is, then found it and thought "Oh, a missed call. I wonde … #
- RT @jkottke: Owen Wilson riding by on a crappy bike confirmed moments later by sombrero-clad paparazzi in pursuit. Like a scene from a W … #
- RT @warrenellis: Via @antonyjohnston , may I also direct you to the absurd glory of Being Vladimir Putin? http://t.co/b6cnBeM #
Interview with Rob Janoff, designer of the Apple logo. On the origin of the bite in the logo:
Anyway, when I explain the real reason why I did the bite it’s kind of a let down. But I’ll tell you. I designed it with a bite for scale, so people get that it was an apple not a cherry. Also it was kind of iconic about taking a bite out of an apple. Something that everyone can experience. It goes across cultures. If anybody ever had an apple he probably bitten into it and that’s what you get. It was after I designed it, that my creative director told me: “Well you know, there is a computer term called byte”. And I was like: “You’re kidding!” So, it was like perfect, but it was coincidental that it was also a computer term. At the time I had to be told everything about basic computer terms.
A lot has been written about the Windows Explorer redesign in Windows 8 and i don’t have much to add, but i’ll just dump a few links in here for, y’know, reference: Dmitry Fadeyev, Michael Heilemann, Laurie Voss.
I always thought the ribbon was an interesting idea, until i actually used it. Now i find it completely unbearable and an enormous productivity killer. I actually downgraded Office just to get rid of it.